Wednesday 26 January 2011

Barking Mad 1-0 RECREATIVO 23.1.11.




Waiting for Goal-o. A play in two halves.

Act one: A common. To the right a tree with three leaves. Reckymon sits on a mound pulling at his boot. He gives up, exhausted, rests, tries again. As before.

Enter Hackneymon

Reckymon: Nothing to be done.

Hackneymon: (advancing with short, stiff strides). I'm beginning to come round to that opinion.

For weeks we've tried to put it away, saying Hackneymon, be reasonable, you haven't yet tried everything. And we resumed the struggle. (He broods, musing on the struggle.)

R: So here we are again.
H: Yes.
R: What are we here for?
H: We're waiting for Goal-o.
R: Do you think it'll come?
H: I don't know. Will you recognise it if it does?
R: Will you?
H: It's been a long time.
R: Will it come if I do this with the back of my heel?
H: Surely.
R: Or if I just kick very hard?
H: It used to work.
R: And this? If I twist and turn like this.
H: Ah how we used to twist and turn. Let me watch you. I will stand still.
R: And watch me?
H: Yes, I will watch you.
R: And sometimes jump?
H: We could both jump at the same time.
R: What would be the point of that?
H: I don't know. It might cheer us up.
R: And we could try shouting.
H: At what?
R: At each other. Or at him over there, the one waving his arms.
H: Or we could run about a lot.
R: All in the same direction?
H: Or different directions.
R: But at the same time?
H: If you wish.
R: Will Goal-o come if we run fast? Or if we just look like we're running fast.
H: I don't know. Perhaps we should stand still. Like this, arm in arm. Like a wall. (They stand arm in arm)
H: Oh, what was that? Was that Goal-o?
R: It might have been. I couldn’t see. Who can we ask?
H: The one over there waving his arms. Like a fanatic.
R: The one with the whistle?
H: Yes him. He's been watching us for a long time.
R: But why? We haven't been doing anything.

Act two. A common. The tree is to the left, and there are no leaves on it.
R: Here again. Things will be better this time. You'll see.
H: What is there to be done?
R: We are waiting.
H: Oh yes. Waiting for Goal-o.
R: We'll try harder this time. Do you think it'll come?
H: Yes I think so.
R: When?
H: I don’t know. Soon.
R: Meanwhile, we could hang ourselves. We have our laces.
H: Let’s not yet. We would miss Goal-o.
R: True.
H: And at least we have each other.
R: Yes, at least we have each other.

End

The players: Aaron Gayle, Joe Haley, Adam Bradbury, Joe Dunthorne, Joao Spinola, Max Bland, Marcus du Sautoy, Chris Read, Ben Chambers, Mario Pisano, Jeremy, David Dike, Liam Greenaway.